Amuse-Bouche

Monday, June 20, 2005

I Scream for Ice Cream!

As an undergraduate at Stanford, I lived in a house called Storey with my now-husband. Storey was known for having the best "open kitchen" on the row and a fabulous cook named Diana. From time-to-time we'd have "special dinners" at Storey to which we were allowed a guest and for which Diana cooked up a fancy meal (at least by college standards).

On one occasion, Diana had the novel idea of having one of our special dinners at her boyfriend's new restaurant in the city, rather than at Storey. Her boyfriend's restaurant is The Blue Plate, which has received quite a few good reviews since our special dinner there.

To make a long story short, my old Storey roommate Elizabeth was in town this weekend, so we thought it would be fun to hit up The Blue Plate, along with some of our other ex-Storey friends who live in the city. The food itself was dinner party good, but not awesome restaurant good. We shared some fava bean bruschetta and a nice plate of fries to start. I had skate which came with some purple potatoes. Good, but nothing special.

The food highlight of the evening was our post-dinner stop at Mitchell's. I had only had the famous San Francisco ice cream at work, so it was nice to actually pick my own flavor from the full list. I had a scoop of rum raisin, my childhood fave, believe it or not. It was creamy and delicious. Future flavors to try include a white pistachio and a thai tea.

Ice cream rocks!

1 Comments:

  • At December 12, 2005 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool Stanford connection! I've been really impressed with The Blue Plate on my two visits.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home