Amuse-Bouche

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Hip != Good

Aren and I celebrated our second year anniversary at La Folie on the 20th of September. Along with the standard amuse-bouche and post-dessert sweets, I had Parsley and Garlic Soup with a Râgout of Snails and Shiitake Mushrooms, Butter Poached Lobster on a Fava Bean, Artichoke Ravioli with Shiso, Scallion, Carrot and Toasted Almond Salad, and Mint Marinated Strawberry Napoleon with Caramelized Mascarpone Crème, Rhubarb Compote, Strawberry Sorbet. I'll apologize to my loyal readers now for not going into more detail on the meal -- it was superb, but with a month between me and that meal, I don't think I could do it justice (plus I am lazy!). We did a wine pairing for the first time ever. I highly recommend it -- it was fun to have a professional do the pairings and to try six different wines over the course of the evening.

...now to present day...

After grabbing a glass of Rombauer chardonnay at a co-worker's place this Friday, we all headed to the Americano, a hip new hang in the Hotel Vitale. I started with a glass of prosseco and a simple butter lettuce salad, before moving to a roasted wild mushroom pizza, which was prepared on an usual pastry-like crust. The food was pretty good and company terrific, but the atmosphere was horrible. We were surrounded by the botox-squad and gold diggers digging in the post-work financial district crowd, both of which believe in screaming all evening long. As someone who loves a quiet, cozy space, this was not the place for me. I could't even stand to stick around for dessert! The one saving grace of the evening was the people with whom we spent it (a Zagat 30 for the company)!

2 Comments:

  • At November 08, 2005 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Sabine
    And G'day from Downunder. I was hunting around the web for stuff on baking bread when I came across Hip != Good. It's just amazing what these searches turn up. I'm not sure I'm finding what I need, but I'm having a lot of fun. Have a great day!

     
  • At November 13, 2005 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I could understand how doing a search for how to cook lobster got me to Hip != Good. Not that I mind, you understand Sabine. It's just that I don't think it's exactly what I was looking for :0)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home