Amuse-Bouche

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Restaurants Galore!

I'm a little behind in my blogging, so I have *4* restaurant experiences to write about today!

Last weekend, Aren and I went to Cafe Claude with our good college friend. An SF expatriate friend of ours had recommended the authentic French bistro. I loved the atmosphere -- the restaurant is in a little alley near Union Square and features a jazz band during weekend nights. Unlike a lot of other bistros in the city, there was ample room between the tables. We shared pate to start, I had mussels as my main course, and I ended with a nice banana bread pudding. The food was solid, but not sensational. I'd, however, definitely go back both for the atmosphere and for the bistro's affordability. Entrees run between $10 and $15!

We also checked out Town Hall last weekend. The restaurant is being touted as one of the best new restaurants of the year. I love the look of the restaurant -- lots of wood, Craftsman-style furniture, and high ceilings. The restaurant is very loud, so I would suggest having a drink or two if you go there to help you forget the millions of voices around you. The comfort food was in fact yummy. We shared biscuits and ham to start, which reminded me of when I lived in Williamsburg, Virginia once upon a time. I had their famous duck and gingersnap gravy and then a cobbler for dessert. I went home a little tipsy and very stuffed! Unfortunately, I woke up extremely ill in the middle of the night. I was confident that my illness was due to overeating heavy foods. I immediately realized I was wrong when I went into work on Monday -- mysteriously, at least half the office had become extremely ill over the weekend. Turns out that we were not just treated with burritos at our office lunch on Friday, but salmonella! Nice!

Now for this weekend...Aren and I headed up to wine country yesterday. We visited both Duckhorn and St. Supery. We had a nice tour followed by an estate tasting at Duckhorn and left happy with a bottle of Merlot. The tasting was probably the best to which I've been -- it was long and leisurely and accompanied with explanations of the wines, as well as an overview of the winery's history. We stopped by Oakland's Oliveto for dinner on our way home. They have very good in-house salumi and good pasta dishes, very reminiscent of Delfina in SF.

We're going to my fave SF restaurant, Chapeau!, tonight -- I'll fill you in on the details soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home