Amuse-Bouche

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

An Empty Stomach & A Full Ear

Aren and I hit up Maverick, a new "American Eatery" in the Mission, last weekend with some Stanford pals. Maverick's concept is American comfort food with a refined twist. Cute, but not exactly creative, given the plethora of places like Home, Blue Plate, Chenery Park, blah, blah, blah.

I agree with Sir Bauer's assessment of the restaurant's atmosphere. To me, half the fun of a meal is the company with whom I'm spending it, and not the folks two, three, and four tables away from me. Perhaps I'm becoming more of a grump with age (I'm rapidly approaching 30), but why can't there be more tasty restaurants that don't require ear plugs?

And, the food? I find that a good way to judge a restaurant's quality is to ask yourself whether you can make a meal at least as good as what you're served. The fig salad, three bean chili, and mushroom side I had were all pleasant, but certainly not impressive.

Wow, I am becoming a grump, eh?

1 Comments:

  • At November 10, 2005 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've definitely become grumpier (no surprise to you, I'm sure) about restaurant noise as I've aged. A real turning point for me was when I visited the crazy crowded, crazy noisy Chez Papa one Saturday night with Jennifer and Valerie. It was so noisy that I simply stopped asking "What??" after every utterance. It was one of the worst nights out.

    On the other hand, Fleur de Lys was, I think, the quietest restaurant I've been to in SF, and one of the darn tastiest, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home